Preached on September 26, 2021 by Senior Pastor Adam Utecht
- The one gospel is ______ (v. 1-10)
- In the face of ______ (v. 1-5)
- By the Jerusalem ______ (v. 6-10)
- The one gospel is ______ applied (v. 11-14)
- The one gospel ______ (v. 15-21)
- ______ by faith in Jesus (v. 15-19)
- ______ with Christ (v. 20-21)
- Read Acts 11:27-30. Scholars suggest this is when Paul’s visit to Jerusalem took place (Galatians 2:1-10). The events of Galatians 2:11-14 would have taken place before the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15. Some scholars believe this incident in Galatia precipitated the Jerusalem Council. It is also possible Paul wrote this letter to the Galatians on the way to the Jerusalem Council!
- Read Galatians 2:3. Why is this significant in their visit to Jerusalem?
- Romans 15:7-13. What does this tell us about Gentiles and their inclusion into the people of God? Do Gentiles need to become Jews in order to be saved?
- Read Galatians 2:9. How do the apostles affirm Paul’s gospel of grace? How does this refute what the Judaizers are saying (see Acts 15:1)?
- What did Peter do wrong (Galatians 2:11-14)? John Stott makes this point: “Now, if God justifies Jews and Gentiles on the same terms, through simple faith in Christ crucified, and puts no difference between them, who are we to withhold our fellowship from Gentile believers unless they are circumcised?”
- Why did Paul confront Peter publicly? How did Paul’s actions promote gospel clarity in Antioch and beyond?
- Why can’t we be justified by works of the law (Gal. 2:16)? What would we have to do in order to be justified by works? Can we do it?
- How is a person justified (declared innocent)? What is faith (see Hebrews 11:1). For further study read Romans 3:27-31 and Romans 5:1-2.
- Union with Christ is described in Galatians 2:20. What does it look like in your life to live by faith in the Son of God who loved you and gave himself for you?
- How can you honor God with your body this week? With your words? With unity in the body of Christ?
- How does this passage help you understand the gospel better?